Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Experiences of a Summer Intern

Well, the summer is continuing to be an awesome experience. I've done and learned a lot since starting on May 11. My last post was about my second day at the Knoxville News Sentinel and the adventure I was pulled into. I must say, the rest of that week didn't disappoint. On Wednesday, I went with Erin Chapin and Adam Brimer to the Knoxville Police Department to cover the busting of a prostitution ring. The officer in charge of the operation gave us the low down on what they were doing to stop the illegal activities.

He showed us video tapes from hidden cameras in hotel rooms where they held sting operations to bust prostitutes. It was so funny to see the look on these girls' faces when 10 cops bust through the door!

Thursday held more coverage of the prostitute-busting action. We went back to gather more info and to shoot photos. The cop told us about one night of 'hoe-busting' they lovingly call "Two Tons of Fun." He showed us video of the rather large ladies they had arrested - and all their weight combined...you guessed it, two tons. Wow, I can't believe people actually paid these girls! ewww.

On Friday, I went with Talid to the "Blue Plate Special," an event that brings artists in from all over. They cram themselves on stage with a huge crowd, and jam out. That week's bands were of the bluegrass genre. I never really had a true appreciation for that type of music until then. I felt like I was tearin' down a dirt road in an orange, 1969 Dodge Charger - running from Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane. YEEHAWW!! haha.

The past few weeks have been a little more confined to the newsroom. I've been uploading YouTube videos, posting stories, making SoundSlides, and editing video and audio. It's been fun and educational at the same time - I guess a good combination for an internship.

Check out my staff profile page at knoxnews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment